Within the last decade or so, technological innovations in medical aesthetics have accelerated the industry and opened up a broad spectrum of non-invasive treatments to a more diverse patient base. Thanks to this rapid development, energy-based treatments have made medical aesthetic procedures much more accessible. In fact, non-surgical treatments offer a much more approachable entry point through which to explore medical aesthetic treatments.
Here, we explore the different types of conditions they address, and some considerations to note before plunging into a customized treatment plan.
What Aesthetic Concerns Can Energy-Based Treatments Address*?
Depending on the technology and device used, the following aesthetic concerns and conditions may be effectively treated through energy-based aesthetics:
- Static wrinkles and fine lines: Static wrinkles are those that remain visible at all times, rather than changing in appearance with your facial expression, and fine lines are small creases. Both may be treated with RF-based wrinkle reduction treatments that work to enhance your body's natural production of collagen and elastin fibers, two of the main building blocks of healthy, youthful skin.
- Pigmentation and vascular conditions: Sun spots, vascular marks (visible blood vessels often caused by cumulative sun exposure), spider veins, port wine stains, and other signs of discoloration may be treated with IPL-based photofacial treatments that target melanin and hemoglobin to disperse pigmentation, and spur healing for a more even-toned complexion.
- Unwanted body and facial hair: Diode laser and IPL hair removal treatments both target melanin in the hair follicle under the skin’s surface, where light energy turns into thermal energy and destroys the follicle.
- Scars: As the result of acne or injury to the skin, scars can appear vastly different and while some heal on their own over time, others can be tended to with a customized RF-based skin resurfacing treatment plan. Venus Viva™ and Venus Versa™ skin resurfacing treatments, in particular, use tiny pins to safely deliver heat, via NanoFractional RF energy, through the skin’s surface. This creates small micro-dermal wounds that spur skin’s natural repair cycle, healing these micro-dermal wounds while repairing scars and other signs of skin damage visible on the skin’s surface.
- Loss of skin tone: Skin can lose its elasticity due to a number of factors. Age, weight loss, and UV exposure are three of the most common factors. When the skin’s elastin fibers are stretched, damaged, or age, they begin to loosen. Non-surgical RF-based treatments rejuvenate the appearance of lax skin by safely and comfortably heating tissue beneath the skin's surface. This triggers the natural production of collagen and elastin, the key building blocks of firm, healthy, youthful-looking skin.
- Cellulite reduction: Cellulite impacts up to 90% of women at some point in their lifetime, often as a result of hormonal changes, genetics, diet, or other lifestyle factors. Non-surgical cellulite treatments are powered by advanced RF technology that targets water in fat cells to shrink them, improving the appearance of cellulite’s typical bumps and dimpling while also boosting collagen production for an overall firmer, smoother appearance. Treatments are typically comfortable and can be customized to target cellulite at any stage with no downtime.
- Body Slimming: Even with a diet and fitness plan in place, many people continue to struggle with lax skin and lack of shape. Using advanced RF-based technology to safely and comfortably deliver energy deep below the skin's surface, body slimming treatments work to tighten skin and reduce circumference*. The result is a slimmer figure with a more defined shape.
- Fat Treatments: For those looking for a solution to stubborn pockets of fat, treatments utilizing diode laser technology are worth considering. Diode laser technology targets and breaks down stubborn fat cells around the abdomen and flanks for a smoother, firmer shape. Results can be further enhanced with complementary treatments that tighten the skin*, smooth cellulite, and further reduce circumference*, leading to a slimmer, more contoured appearance.
Some Considerations for Energy-Based Aesthetics
There are some common notes that apply to most energy-based aesthetic treatments that you may consider before booking your initial consultation.
- Treatments Are Non-Surgical: A significant benefit to energy-based treatments is that they are non-surgical, meaning little to no downtime is required. Depending on the treatments you receive, you may need to avoid makeup or saunas for 24 hours after, but you can otherwise go about your regular routine.
- Multiple Treatments Will Be Required: While some energy-based treatments may offer good results following one session, multiple treatment sessions are often recommended for the best results. Your treatment provider will be able to suggest how many sessions you will need to achieve your unique aesthetic goals.
- Treatments Require Commitment for Optimal Outcomes: While the time between treatments may vary depending on your particular plan, it is important to ensure you stick to your provider’s suggested treatment schedule to ensure an optimal outcome. For example, it is important to schedule laser hair removal treatments three to four weeks apart to properly treat all hair follicles. Hair grows in a three-stage cycle and treatments are only able to properly target and destroy hair follicles to prevent future growth when they’re in the anagen (growth) phase. If a treatment is skipped, you may need to wait longer or require additional treatments to ensure you catch those missed hairs during their next growth phase.
- You Play a Role in the Results: Your efforts in following your provider’s advice for pre- and post-treatment care is essential to your treatment outcome. The more committed you are to following directions and opting for high-quality skin care, the more likely you are to achieve optimal results and sustain them well after your last treatment session.
- Customization Is Possible: While there are some aspects of energy-based treatments that are not flexible, your treatment provider can often make adjustments for improved comfort, can select different applicators to achieve a variety of treatments, or they may propose complementary treatments, such as three-in-one TriBella™ facial rejuvenation treatments, to tackle more than one aesthetic concern within a single treatment plan and in less time.
Unfortunately, with as much research as you can find online, the first step to really knowing whether an energy-based aesthetics treatment plan is right for you is to book a consultation with a trusted treatment provider. With experience under their belt and a lineup of cutting-edge non-surgical treatment devices available, they will be able to confirm your research and intuition or set you on a better path that may provide additional benefits and an optimal outcome based on your personal needs. Get started today by searching for a treatment provider near you using the search field below.
* Approved treatments and technologies vary by region.